PA! has a ton of useful Emoticons for communicating ideas. Stuff like smiles and sunshines!
But since this is a Pokémon site, we also have other useful Pokémon symbols which can be easily placed. Stuff like Pokémon TCG energy symbols ( etc) and Pokémon video game type symbols from Sword/Shield ( etc)! Plus if you see something and you want to know how to use it, simply mouse-over it and it'll tell you its own code. Nifty, huh?
Sooner or later we'll be replacing these emoticons with an actual font you can use and download, just as we did with the Galarian text... but until then, you can use these handy emoticons. And so, here is what they are!
Oooh! Here's a blast from the past... I recently rediscovered my old "Nickmoticons" which I made back during the good ol' "Pokémon Aaah! Forum" days, but until now they were left without a home. Well, now that PA! is back, I figured I might as well add them back to the site as well. And so here they are in their classic glory!
Again, you should be able to just mouse-over each one to see how to use it.
Unfortunately the Discord Server has a limit of 50 custom emoticons, so some of these might not appear there.
POKÉMON VG TYPE SYMBOLS (SwSh)
In Pokémon Sword/Shield, the game introduced new symbols for each of the 18 Pokémon types. Furthermore they were given a color unique to that type. I've painstakingly ripped the symbols and added them to the site as emoticons. You people better be grateful for all the blood, sweat and tears I put into this site (er, not literally... I mean, I have yet to figure out a way to digitize blood, sweat and/or tears and transfer them over standard TCP/IP...)
For the emoticons used here, there are three symbol types and two sizes involved. This requires a three-letter symbol code, which should be pretty easy to use and remember.
The code format is:
- size; "L" for large, "S" for small.
- form; which is how the symbol will look
- "W" for white symbol on colored BG
- "T" for colored symbol with transparent BG, and
- "D" for colored symbol on dark-colored BG
- type; which is the actual Pokémon type symbol. The actual letter is listed below.
...and that's it! So if you want a large, transparent Flying symbol, just use LTV ... which will look like:
Oh, and here's what they actually look like:
|Bug = B||LDB||LTB||LWB||SDB||STB||SWB|
|Dark = D||LDD||LTD||LWD||SDD||STD||SWD|
|Dragon = N||LDN||LTN||LWN||SDN||STN||SWN|
|Electric = L||LDL||LTL||LWL||SDL||STL||SWL|
|Fairy = Y||LDY||LTY||LWY||SDY||STY||SWY|
|Fighting = F||LDF||LTF||LWF||SDF||STF||SWF|
|Fire = R||LDR||LTR||LWR||SDR||STR||SWR|
|Flying = V||LDV||LTV||LWV||SDV||STV||SWV|
|Ghost = H||LDH||LTH||LWH||SDH||STH||SWH|
|Grass = G||LDG||LTG||LWG||SDG||STG||SWG|
|Ground = A||LDA||LTA||LWA||SDA||STA||SWA|
|Ice = I||LDI||LTI||LWI||SDI||STI||SWI|
|Normal = C||LDC||LTC||LWC||SDC||STC||SWC|
|Poison = O||LDO||LTO||LWO||SDO||STO||SWO|
|Psychic = P||LDP||LTP||LWP||SDP||STP||SWP|
|Rock = K||LDK||LTK||LWK||SDK||STK||SWK|
|Steel = M||LDM||LTM||LWM||SDM||STM||SWM|
|Water = W||LDW||LTW||LWW||SDW||STW||SWW|
The single-letter code for each type might not make sense for some of them (like "L" for "Electric"? "V" for "Flying"?), but this was done to ensure that each type can be represented by a single letter, and that that letter can be applicable to BOTH the video game and TCG types. That said, since I coined the TCG letters first, they had priority.
For example, "L" for "Electric" is because it's called "Lightning" in the TCG, and thus both ":STL" ( ) and ":TL" ( ) can reference the same type.
POKÉMON TCG ENERGY SYMBOLS
Wanna insert some Pokémon TCG energy symbols into your replies without having to use plain ol' text like F for Fighting or G for Grass? Then use these!
To use these, it's pretty simple; it's just a simple two-letter code, where the first letter it T for "TCG".
As for the second letter, for the sake of consistency, I'm using the same single-letter code for types used in the VG emoticons above. The single-letter code for the other symbols are:
- T = Trainer (Item)
- S = Trainer (Stadium)
- U = Trainer (Supporter)
- E = Energy
So, TG = "TCG Grass", and TY = "TCG Fairy". Simple, huh?
As a reminder, both the TCG and video game types use the same single-letter code across both. Thus both ":STL" ( ) and ":TL" ( ) can reference the same type.
Until I can make a Galarian alphabet font and an easy way for you to use it in comments, you can use these handy emoticons to spell out Galarian words.
Here's a protip: simply copy " :G" (as in, [SPACE][COLON][G]), that way you can just type in a letter then "CTRL/CMD-V" to paste the prefix, letter, paste, letter, paste, letter, paste, letter, paste, etc etc. There are also ways to use regex commands to insert " :G" between every letter, if you want to be lazy about it.
...ok FINE if you wanna use regex, do this:
- type out your phrase using UPPERCASE letters, like maybe GA9A4 BEWCVE
- in your favorite text editor that can do regex searches, take the text and do a find-and-replace using the following inputs (minus the quotes):
- FIND: "(\w)"
- REPLACE: " :G\1" (there is a space in front of the colon)
- what you're doing is telling the find-and-replace function to take every single character in the text and add " :G" in front of it. Therefore turing "GA9A4 BEWCVE" into " GG GA G9 GA G4 GB GE GW GC GV GE" (colons removed just so you can see what the replaced text would kinda look like)
- tadah! instant Galarian text! ...
- side note, the regex search might not recognize the characters "!", "+" and "^" so you might have to add the ":G" prefix manually.
- Similarly, normal spaces might not separate Galarian text as clearly, so you can use ":G_" ([SPACE][COLON][G][UNDERSCORE]) to add in a wider, Galarian text-friendly space.