The Actual News:
Just a small little notice that I’ve updated the Galarian Word List with a whole bunch of different text I’ve picked up from here and there.
That said, I’ve worked out a little more about the Galar alphabet. Long story short, it’s definitely looking like the Galar language is “consistent gibberish”. Here’s the deets:
- On the train station’s platform sign, the words and appear; since the first word appears after “1” and the second appears after “2/4/5”, it’s clear that those words are “car” and “cars”, respectively. As in, the train heading to [somewhere town] on Platform 1/2 will have 1 car or 2 cars.
- The names used on the uniforms for the Gym Leaders Nessa and Kabu … well, it might just be their names like with Milo/Yarrow, or it might be relating to their Numbers (which are used as “goroawase” or number wordplay in Japanese). Namely, since fits neither “Nessa” or “Rurina/ルリナ“, I THINK it might therefore be related to Nessa’s League Number, 049, which is a goroawase 泳ぐ oyogu, meaning “to swim”. Since sometimes the final U in Japanese words is silent-ish (kinda), Nessa’s Galar name might therefore be “OYOG”. Not only does it seem to fit the pattern, but the final Galar character might in turn reference the ぐ gu character.
- Kabu’s name , on the other hand, probably is just meant to be “KABU”. My only guess towards that is that is used as an “A” in Galarian “Game Freak”.
- A poster in Hop’s room shows a bunch of PokéBalls on it, or as they’re known in Japan, Monster Balls, which in turn was written as
- Wedgehurst, in Japanese, is “Brassie Town“, which probably explains the double in its Galar name: … That said, it’s probably supposed to be “BRASSY”.
So as I mentioned, these all seem to add more evidence to the “consistent gibberish” hypothesis, as these new words continue to support the idea that they make SOME kind of sense within themselves, such that they aren’t purely random characters… but that sense only applies to themselves and not to the entire Galar language as a whole.
OK, that’s all I have to share for now. Keep an eye out for more info! And if you have anything to share, please do! Let’s build a list of Galar words together!